Anti-Money Laundering and Counter Terrorism Financing Peshawar
The Research Society of International Law (RSIL) conducted two AML/CTF Trainings for Prosecutors and Investigators, which were held from 21st to 24th September in Peshawar. Participants were a mix of both the KP Prosecution Department and the KP Police.
|Dates||KP Police Participants||KP Prosecution Participants||Total Participants|
|21st – 22nd September||8||10||18|
|23rd – 24th September||6||10||16|
The training sessions consisted of a series of 6 lectures:
- Global Legal Framework on AML/CTF and Overview of Pakistan’s Compliance
- Nature of Terrorism Financing in Pakistan with specific reference to Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
- Domestic Legal Framework on AML/CTF
- Criminalizing Money Laundering & Terrorism Financing in Pakistan: Elements of Offences
- Powers of LEAs, Special Investigative Techniques, and Role of Prosecutors
- Collection and Analysis of Evidence in AML/CTF Cases
As a supplement to traditional lectures, RSIL also conducted 4 tablet-based assessments throughGathersense, providing instant feedback to participants on assessment areas in need of improvement, and areas where they performed particularly well, creating a competitive environment in which participants flourished.
Both sessions concluded with a case study in which participants were asked to identify relevant criminal provisions which applied to the facts of the case, and in doing so, demonstrating a working knowledge of the various powers of investigation in TF/ML cases, as well as the components required to successfully prosecute such a case. Police and Prosecutors were made to work together in groups in order to complete this activity, thus, bolstering camaraderie and cooperation between these two departments.