Shayan Ahmed Khan has worked extensively in the areas of Public International Law, International Human Rights Law and International Humanitarian Law, Constitutional Law, Criminal Law and Counter-Terrorism.
In addition to his role at RSIL, he is also working as a Research Associate at the Centre of Excellence for International Law at the National Defence University and as an IHL Consultant for the International Committee of the Red Cross. Prior to joining RSIL, he did internships at the International Committee of the Red Cross where he helped compile Pakistan’s state practice for the Customary IHL Project, made a report on the weapons convention that Pakistan has ratified and drafted the role play simulation for the 9th Henry Dunant Moot Court Competition Pakistan National Rounds. Thereafter, he interned at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs Pakistan where he worked under the Principal Legal Advisor on the Jadhav Case.
Alongside his work, Shayan has taken a keen interest in Moot Court Competitions and has judged national and international moot court competitions including the Telders International Law Moot Court Competition, the Phillip C. Jessup International Law Moot Court Competition and the Henry Dunant Moot Court Competition. He is also frequently invited as an expert on Advocacy and International Law to various think-tanks and institutes including the Foreign Service Academy.
Shayan graduated with a First Class LL.B (Hons.) from the University of London International Programmes and is a recipient of two Academic Achievement Awards from the University of London. In his studential years, he won the USEFP National Moot Court Competition and represented Pakistan at the Phillip C. Jessup International Law Moot Court Competition International Rounds and the Concours Jean Pictet.
- The Inapplicability of the Geneva Conventions to Self-Determination Movements (Cambridge International Law Journal’s Blog)
- The Issues of Admissibility Pertaining to Circumstantial, Contested, Classified and Illicitly Obtained Evidence in the International Court of Justice (Research Guide for the International Court of Justice, Peace Palace Library) (Research Society of International Law’s Law Review)
- Legal Memorandum|The Legal Status of Jammu and Kashmir under International Law: The Law of Occupation and Illegal Annexation (Research Society of International Law)
- Legal Analysis of the Balakot Airstrike and Pakistan’s Response (Research Society of International Law)
- Denial of Consular Access through a Modification of the Vienna Convention on Consular Relations, 1963: A Study of the Jadhav Case (UC Berkeley Journal of International Law’s Blog)
- Registration of International Agreements with the UN Secretariat: A Study of the Jadhav Case (UC Berkeley Journal of International Law’s Blog)
- Why I Disagree with the analysis of the Ex-Chief Justice Mr. Iftikhar Chaudhry regarding the Jadhav Case (India V. Pakistan) (Courting the Law)
- Criminal Law and Procedural Guidelines for Police and Prosecutors in Pakistan (UNODC)
- Report on the Convergences and Divergences of Opinions between Madrassah and University Students (CODE Pakistan) (Published with support of the United States Institute of Peace)